Friday, January 19

The Method

There's quite a stir over on the CPod Blog about language acquisition methods. Someone posted a comment about CPod being in conflict with the Pimsleur method. I'm too tired to say much, but I agree with Ken that I don't believe there is one standard approach to learning a language. In fact I'm not so sure there's a standard approach to learning many things in life. Learning to play a musical instrument comes to mind. The only consistent factors seem to be time, willpower, and exposure.

Speaking of which I've been spending 45 minutes to an hour with the FSI material and so far am impressed. More on that later.

1 comment:

jenny said...

However, the current trend in language teaching is the communicative method -- where students speak as much as possible in a student-centered classroom (meaning the teacher mostly guides, not lectures).

Pimsleur works for some, but not for those who want to one-day become fluent.